Mom of 3, Creative Mastermind of Damask & Dentelle, TV hostess on Sauvez les Meubles on Canal Vie & décor specialist on Breakfast Television Montréal. OUF…
Whenever I meet people and they ask me about myself, the first thing I tell them is that I am first and foremost a mom of 3 children that I absolutely adore, and wife to a husband… that I adore too! 🙂 I have 2 girls, Ma’ila 10 and Madison 5, and a son, Teddy who’s 4. Teddy was diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum in July 2013 which scared us to death at first, but that we now see as a blessing and a gift as it forces us to be even better parents and mentors to him and to our girls. The way this child sees life is nothing short of phenomenal, all in colours and numbers… with a lot of toy cars and planes in the mix!
I always wanted a large family and, had it not been for our Teddy needing a lot of our attention, we probably would have had a forth child (my husband always thought it was a crazy idea to have 4 kids, but hey, he knew me when he married me!)
Then the other stuff comes in. I am an interior design groupie, a real one! I eat, dream and sleep décor and have been doing so since 2008 when I launched my then humble blog, Damask & Dentelle. Over time, the blog became a business and a complete directory of everything décor in Québec. Then, along the way, TV came into my life with a golden opportunity to create and host my own décor show. Sauvez les Meubles was born. We are currently filming the 3rd season of the show, which is a good sign… it must mean that people like it right?
Secrets of a WOWMOM
Sleep – I get it whenever I can, Spanx – to nip & tuck, laughter – it keeps me young, and a digital camera – in case my memory fails me in the fall of my life..
What inspires me
Intelligence, richness of character & people that are well travelled. Food also inspires me a lot, I love cooking. Most of my best memories are associated with a meal or a special food I tasted.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
Get organized. I am very bohemian at heart, but when you have kids, it makes your life so much simpler to just get organized (somewhat at least!). So what do I do then? I make lists, a ton of lists. I keep a cute notebook in my purse and make lists. And it feels so good to check things off them.
My best WOWMOM advice
Don’t compare yourself and your children to other families. It is what makes us different that makes us unique… and oh so charming!
My WOW moment
The birth of my children. Oh, did you mean “wow” or “Owww”? Kidding aside, the birth of a child is simply magical & surreal at the same time.
My not-so WOW moment
Starting my business with 2 babies in toe in my jammies most of the time. But in hindsight, it was the best thing for our family, and us so I just hide away the pictures of that period.
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
I run, it keeps me sane. I injured myself pretty badly last year (I tore my calf across the muscle’s belly), so I cannot run as long as I used to anymore, but still the sound of my running shoes on the pavement is as soothing to me as it gets. Plus it does not take all day. I mean, golf is great and all, but who has the time to walk for 6 hours looking for a prune size ball in unkept weeds! Seriously!
Favourite MOMent of the day
I love lazy mornings when all 3 kids jump in the bed and we snuggle for a while. Our lives are so hectic with our work schedules, school, daycare and Teddy’s therapy that these fleeting moments, when it feels that time has stopped, are priceless.
Does balance exist?
Most certainly, but not in our household. I strive to achieve balance, one day, when I’ll move to some deserted island and do yoga all day, but in the meantime we take what we can (we are both entrepreneurs with no safety net) and make the best of it. As my 5-year-old daughter would say: “You get what you get and you don’t get upset”.
My guardian angels
My “grand-père” who passed away when I was 5. Whenever I am confused, hurt, sad, or when I am looking for a parking spot downtown, I call on him and I chat. My mom, dad & step-dad have also been rocks, all in very different ways, in my life. And my hubby, because he’s just a sweetheart and makes me feel so loved.
The last time I laughed out loud
5 minutes ago while watching my kids dancing around to “Happy” (by Pharrell Williams).
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Be authentic, stay in school and always remember that you only have one reputation. A handshake means something and a written note will always beat a virtual message, at any age, in any context, with anyone.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Concealer. Whoever invented concealer should win a Nobel Prize. I use the Erase Paste by Benefit, it probably could cover the dark circles of a racoon it’s so good!
2. My Vitamix total nutrition blender. This baby costed me a bundle, but it was worth every penny. It truly changed my life. No more lumpy Kale smoothies in this house.
3. Netflix. 3 words: House of Cards. Exactly, I rest my case, it’s a must!
4. My Ropes of Maine bracelets. I have 3 of them and they have become part of my uniform. My dad has a sailboat and my husband grew up on one, so I guess I am attached to that nautical lifestyle.
5. A good watch. An elegant timepiece is a classic piece of jewellery. I feel naked without mine. I wear a vintage Brietling that is not flashy or with tons of bling, but I love it.
6. Sarabeth’s fat and fluffy French toast, it is mouthful of pure decadence. I never miss going when I am in New York.
7. Hygge & West Wallpaper sold at Buk & Nola in Montréal. I love every single collection they have. I have wallpaper in my dining room, my kids rooms, my laundry room and soon in my entryway. Wallpaper makes me smile, it can be so whimsical and fun!
8. My iPhone. It changed the way I do business. I can now work from anywhere, anytime. If well controlled (which is really hard I concede) it allows you a physical freedom from the brick and mortar office like nothing else.
** WowMom Note: Don’t forget to check out Vanessa’s fabulous blog Damask & Dentelle!