Currently at home with baby, freelance writer and blogger at RoastedMontreal.com
I’ve always been interested in travelling, meeting new people and discovering fun and exciting things to do. My blog, RoastedMontreal.com is an extension of all that. The blog started when I was moving to Montreal from London, England and couldn’t find anyone writing about what I was interested in. I explore food, restaurants, activities, fashion, local designers and pretty much anything else that interests me. After I had my first child, Bastien who is now 3, I left the corporate world and started freelance writing as well with a focus on food and lifestyle. Now my son Alex, 5 months, has joined our crew and we couldn’t be happier. (*WowMom note: the kids are now a year older. Yes, it’s taken me an embarrassing whole year to get this post up! Please see my apologies here).
Secrets of a WOWMOM
Have confidence in yourself, listen to your gut and blaze your own path.
What inspires me
My friends whom I love and rely on everyday. They are an extraordinary group of women.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
Perfection is overrated. It’s not that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things if your dinner is a bit overcooked, your house is a bit messy or your clothes have food on them. This is life as it is at this moment, and it won’t be like that forever. Having said that, I am very organized which helps with food prep, household chores, etc. I also find a big calendar is very handy for everything from dental appointments to swimming lessons. Write it down!
My best WOWMOM advice
Do what’s right for you and your family. Ignore the naysayers and negativity. I always say to myself – ‘that’s what works for them, this is what works for me.’
My WOW moment
Every time I look at my kids. Well, almost everytime… But really, when everyone is playing or sitting without crying I just think – wow, we did this!
My not-so WOW moment
Probably around 6:00 when my baby is crying, the toddler is throwing food everywhere, the kitchen is a mess, I’m at my wits end, and I just want to go to bed. I just remember that it won’t be like this forever. Wine helps too…
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
Take time for yourself! I know we are mothers but we are also amazing women too. Do things for yourself! I also like to introduce myself to my kid’s friends so I’m not just known as ‘so and so’s mom.’ I’m someone too – not just someone’s mom!
Favourite MOMent of the day
First coffee in the morning when my oldest is still sleeping and my youngest is still in a good mood. Everything is right in the world at that moment!
Does balance exist?
Yes, but unfortunately it means that not everything can probably go the way you want it. I just try to live life in moderation and accept the things that won’t work or go my way all the time.
My guardian angel
My husband… he’s so supportive of everything I do!
The last time I laughed out loud
Probably at something ridiculous my three year old said. Where do they come up with that stuff?
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Do your very best, work hard, and have confidence in your abilities.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Nars Super Orgasm Illuminator – I’m not very good at make-up so I make sure whenever I buy new stuff I get advice from friends or an expert. My friend gave me this for my birthday one year and I love it. I have pale skin and NEED some kind of blush on my cheeks. I love the pinky-coral colour and the beautiful shimmer. I even have it in powder too.
2. Sleep Consultant – My friend, Shawna Rose, is a sleep consultant at Destination Sleep and she was a lifesaver when it came to getting my second son out of my bed and sleeping more than a couple hours on his own. It really only took a night or two and our lives were changed. I could finally spend some quality time with my other son instead of breastfeeding for hours trying to get my youngest to sleep. I couldn’t have done it without her.
3. Maksym Studs – I love a dangly earring but with a baby it’s just not practical for everyday so I love to where studs and local Montreal-based designer Maksym has the best. Simple but a bit edgy and trendy.
4. L.L. Bean Wicked Good Moccasins – My feet are always cold and I’m always so scared of slipping on our many stairs. These have an awesome grip on the bottom and are just so comfy.
5. Uppababy Stroller – That thing has been with me everywhere from the streets of Montreal to Florida to the bumpy dirt road at my parent’s chalet in Northern Saskatchewan.
6. Westmount Outdoor Pool – We are so lucky we moved to Westmount just as this pool opened. My son loves the water and we practically lived there last summer. It’s so refreshing on a hot summer’s day and we are lucky to live a short walk away.
7. A BIG Calendar – We have a big calendar right in our kitchen where I write down everything – birthdays, appointments, special days at daycare and kids activities. I know everyone is into electronic calendars but this still works best for me.
8. Melk Café – I love the coffee and especially the excellent scones from this NDG café. I never thought I’d dream about scones, but you have to try one from them in order to understand. They are amazing and made fresh all day long.