Sales Account Executive, Mark Edwards
I would describe myself as passionate and a high achiever. I have always wanted to work in fashion since I started designing my Barbie’s wardrobe at the age of 6. I have always been career driven and am blessed to be doing something I truly love. My niche in the industry is sales and production and I truly love the private label field simply because it’s a new challenge every day. The adrenaline of creating programs and seeing them come to life is priceless. I have been in the fashion world for 28 years and still today I would not do anything else. Young at heart is the best way to describe. My passion for life, work, friends, and family has been the common denominator to making it all work and balance.
My best achievement in life is my son Julian, he is truly an amazing son who has grown to be a wonderful young man. Seeing him grow, evolve and become his own person truly makes me proud. I give myself a pat on the back at times as well, as I truly raised an amazing young man. Julian is considerate, respectful, funny, and very calming, he has to be when he has an energetic mom like me…lol. He has taught me so much, who would think with all my life experiences I am learning lessons from my 16 year old boy.
He is graduating this year and will begin his college year chapter of his life. Seeing the transformation over the years from baby to young man has been a wonderful experience, seeing the world through his eyes has definitely made me a better mom, person and proud to have such an amazing son.
Secrets of a WOWMOM
KEEPING A BALANCE is key. Always find time for yourself. Leave work at work when you get home and the time you spend with your children, no matter what the timeframe is, you must ensure your 100% dedicated to them and immerse yourself with them. Listen to your child, no matter how young or old, they make a lot of sense, but you have to listen.
What inspires me
My late mom was my great inspiration, she was a single widowed mom who truly showed me how to survive. She always gave me the motivation to be whoever I wanted to be. She was strong, funny, beautiful, hardworking, dedicated to her children, stylish, good hearted…I can go on and on…she passed and lost her battle with leukemia 3 years ago. I miss her everyday and when I am feeling uncertain, I think of her and I find the strength to battle whatever needs battling.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
My sanity saviour is allowing Zen time for me, all I need is one hour at the very minimum, although a weekend getaway to NYC for some shopping is also good! But saviours for me, is ME TIME. Yoga, reading, beautifying or simply taking a Saturday afternoon nap!!!!.
My best WOWMOM advice
I always tell my son, organization is the key to success. When doing a job always do it with a smile and ensure to respect everyone around you.
My WOW moment
I don’t know how to answer this, as I don’t consider myself a wowmom…lol. But I must say that I my wow moment came when I had to juggle raising my son after my divorce alone which simultaneously coincided with taking care of my mom during her illness, managing and performing at a new company and keeping everyone around me positive when all seemed dark. I must say that was the ultimate wowmom moment for me. In the end still being able to smile and comfort everyone.
My not-so WOW moment
I remember once Julian was just a toddler and I had a very bad day. I came home and he was full of energy and I just could not find it inside me to reciprocate. I remember locking myself in the bathroom for about 20 minutes to just break down and cry. All I kept hearing is Julian calling out my name, I remember I could not respond. I felt terrible as he kind of freaked out as he could not find me and burst into tears. I felt like I failed him at that moment. Hey, even wowmoms are allowed to break down…and you know what? It’s healthy to do so.
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
I always kept myself au courrant and never gave up on doing the things I enjoyed…which is eating out at great new restos, travelling, I always kept myself looking fresh and always included my son in every experience…well except for my girls night out…lol! Every woman needs to feel okay in her skin no matter what the passing years bring. I always did that, I always nurtured my inner beauty and always kept a joie de vivre attitude.
Favourite MOMent of the day
My favorite time of the day is right before bedtime, when all is still and quiet and I can reflect on my hi’s and low’s of my day. I frown at the lows and toss them out. I smile at the hi’s and fall asleep.
Does balance exist?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, but very hard to find and maintain, and unfortunately balance comes with age and experiences…So you cannot rush it!!! I have finally found my balance, it’s not 50/50…but I am content with 65/35.
My guardian angel
I believe my guardian angels are my parents who are both deceased now. They will always look over me, when I feel lost and pray to them, somehow it all gets better and a solution always appears.
The last time I laughed out loud
Just yesterday actually!!! I have a wonderful new man in my life and his simple jargin is a breath of fresh air and just makes me LOL…it’s a good feeling.
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Always be true to yourself. In life choose a career in what you’re passionate about, the only way to succeed is to do what you truly love and understand. Never let anybody ever tell you CAN’T DO IT!!!!
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Alone time, time out, go away time was my super mom sanity…LOL…No matter how crazy things get, you need to always take one hour to yourself to rebalance the hormones and insanity bugs in the mind.
2. I love to cook!!! Food fuels my soul. It brings people together and when I am in the kitchen I am in my Zen place. There is nothing like sharing food with people you love and I taught my son how to cook and always included him as my sous chef.
3. My favorite place is Spa Balnea, it’s my home away from home in the summer time. It’s truly a place every busy career oriented mom should indulge in. Definitely a battery charger.
4. I am not a techy at all! But my son got me a Samsung Pad 2, which I am starting to really enjoy. My favorite part is that I can download books and have my own portable library wherever I go, that’s as techy as I get.
5. Shoes!!!!!! Which women does not like shoes…I swear I think I am a shoe collector…I own about 50 pairs, and these are current shoes I wear all the time. Let’s not even discuss the archives..LOL… something about shoes that makes me smile. It’s the cherry on the cake for any outfit. I think I will start my own shoe museum one day…
6. I always believed a woman should always take care of her skin and appearance, enter my good friend Nadia who is a star esthetician. I have been caring for my skin since I was 19 years of age and my advice to all the younger women out there…don’t surrender to all the plastic, needle induced solutions to looking younger. Party in moderation, don’t abuse your body with too many toxins, facial creams a must every day, facials minimum every 2 months, exercise, eating healthy and most important a happy balance in your life will keep you feeling great and looking young. Last but not least, keeping your spirit young at heart! That is my secret. Outer beauty is all about what you have and inject inside your body, mind and soul.
7. My favorite place to date that I have been to is spa /resort Santa Lucia in Arizona. It was a Zen experience for any active mom on the go.
8. As I have aged, yoga has become my favorite activity to keep fit. It’s truly encompasses body, mind and soul. Great for the booty as well…LOL…