KATRY ANN BEAUDOIN
Web editor, social media specialist, mom & domestic goddess
I was not even 20 when I was told I wouldn’t reach 30 because of morbid obesity. Would that mean a short life, with no kids and no “real” relationship? This sure had an impact on my life. At 22, I had a life-changing experience which you could call a rebirth: bariatric surgery. I said goodbye to my 360 pounds and 4X clothes and hello to a healthy weight. It turned my life around! When I celebrated 30, let me tell you I was alive and well, living a romance with a man I had always dreamed of. We were happily married and had the most lovable, precious and beautiful inside and out daughter, Charlie Ann.
Secrets of a WOWMOM
I think the best thing you can do as a mommy, for your children, is to love their daddy. (That’s it, now the secret’s out!).
What inspires me
My husband’s parents are a real inspiration to me. They have been together for now 50 years. With lots of humour, they connect and navigate through the days. I like the way they have found to choose “simplicity” over “trends”. They are thankful for what they have, celebrate life’s moments, have empathy and gratitude and are the most generous of heart. Watching them spend time with Charlie Ann, through gardening, coloring or blowing soap bubbles is also a great inspiration to me. I not only wish to grow old with my husband as they have, but I wish to be an active grandma as they are active grandparents in my child’s life.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
My husband. I know, it sounds corky. But trusting him and his decisions is important. He keeps me sane. If I don’t give him the space to help out and to take action within the household and domestic tasks, I don’t help myself. I have learned to delegate… And to let go of my total freakiness. Not everything needs to be perfect.
My best WOWMOM advice
If you want your children to listen, whisper. (BUT GOSH! It’s just so much easier said then done!).
My WOW moment
I was totally excited out of my mind when, a couple of weeks ago, my 4 year old daughter and I actually shared her “first real music concert” together with daddy. Both excited to see Bruno Mars, it was over the top. I felt a mix of nostalgia, of thrill with a strong sense of connection. Kind of a magical feeling. (Way better then going to Disney World I suppose!).
My not-so WOW moment
When this not-so WOW moment happened, I was about 8 months preggy. I was just out of the shower while hubby was relaxing in the living room. Suddently, I started freaking the hell out. My boobs were spreading milk all over the place. I was totally panicked. WTF was happening? That’s when I realised that my body was overhauled.
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
I really enjoy pampering and spa time. These are real treats for me. When I get some time to go to a spa, or simply go for a pedi, facial or a massage, I feel refreshed. I also love to meditate. When I do, it helps my concentration, my energy level, and forces me to stop and breath.
Favourite MOMent of the day
Taking a LONG peaceful shower! (Yep. One of the only places where a mom can be alone in a house!).
Does balance exist?
Parenting is all about love, trial, error and common sense. I don’t think you can really fully balance it all, adding in routine, work, school, family and sanity. But I’m pretty sure you can make it without a yearly access pass to the psych ward! (Although a monthly access pass to the spa is a start!).
My guardian angel
Always comes in some sort of bottle.
The last time I laughed out loud
When I saw this video of a cat, dressed up in a shark costume riding a Roomba vacuum.
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Your life is going to be what you make it – you are responsible for your decisions and the person you’ll become.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Culinary adventures. I’m a food addict. I like to try out all the new and the best tables. Some of my favourites : Nobu (Paradise Island, Bahamas) & L’Initiale (Quebec City).
2. Being a tourist, sometimes even in my own city! With Charlie Ann and my husband, I love travelling out of Montreal, as well as discovering our own city by being part of the fests and events. Our last trip in Charlevoix (Quebec) was such a delight!
3. Shoes. (Yep! I’m one of those! I have a thing for knee-high boots or fun comfy shoes such as Miz Mooz. Still dreaming of my pair of Louboutin!).
4. Spas. As I said earlier, going to the spa is a treat for hubby and me. Among our favourites around home: La Source & Balnéa.
5. Wine. I enjoy discovering wine of all types and ranges. This summer, this one, either in it’s Pinot noir, Pinot gris or Chardonnay versions, has gotten most of my “attention”… – La Crema. (Not too $$$!).
6. Blush. If I was stuck on an island and had to choose an item, I’d go for blush. (Although I REALLY love lipstick!). My faves for blush : Nars Orgasm (in Deep Throat, peach with shimmer) & Tarte Amazonia Clay 12 hour blush (in Dazzled, soft rose).
7. Wet Ones. I know, nothing sexy about that. But I regret when I don’t have them in my handbag! You just get addicted to them once you get the new “MOM” title.
8. Lavender. I have this thing with pure lavender oil products. The scent just reassures and calms me. When I read about lavender oil, its uses and benefits, It’s just even better! Did you know it was a remedy for muscle aches, bacteria, cuts, bugs, and all sorts of other boo-boos? I buy my products from Bleu Lavande.