Online Content & Community Manager, The ALDO Group
I have always been passionate about writing and fashion, and love that my favourite worlds collide in my day-to-day as an online copywriter and social media manager at ALDO. The best part about my job? I’m surrounded by creative & energetic people and love what I do! (PS: I pinkie-swore to myself years ago that if I’m not spending the day with my kids, I’d better love what I do.)
I have a 3-year-old named Harlow… she’s a curly-haired rock star who makes me smile every day, and a newborn baby girl named Isla who is 8 weeks old. If at all possible, my love for Harlow has only intensified once she became a big sister!
Secrets of a WOWMOM
So far, here is what I’ve learned… Rule #1: don’t be so hard on yourself and accept that no one – and no mom — is perfect. Rule #2: Surround yourself with a network of friends and family. Rule #3: Learn to laugh at yourself. Rule #4: Remember that sometimes the busier you are, the more you actually get done.
What inspires me
Watching my husband be the great dad that he is, and seeing my daughters smile. Tucking the girls in at night and knowing that they are happy is the best feeling in the world.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
Knowing that it’s okay to say “yes” to family and friends who offer to help and “no” to your little ones or others. And I can’t live without some of my favourite things, as listed below.
My best WOWMOM advice
Stay true to yourself. I’m not fooling anyone: I’m not that mom who sets up a craft corner for my girls at home, or who bakes homemade cookies for my daughters’ playdates. I have the most fun with my 3-year-old when we go for ice cream or lunch together, go for walks, or simply during our bedtime routine. The best piece of advice a successful mom / boss gave me? “As a working mom, it’s quality over quantity.” So when I’m spending time with my daughters, they have my attention and all of me.
My WOW moment
Does wearing heels while 9 months pregnant count? It doesn’t seem like much, but the first time I picked up my daughter from daycare along with my then-1-week old baby in tow felt like a huge win! I remember Harlow’s excitement when she saw her new baby sister with me, and the two of them in their car seats for the first time – the smile on Harlow’s face melted my heart.
My not-so WOW moment
When Harlow refuses to eat the meals I try to whip up for her. Operative word being “try”… I wish I were more of a gourmet, but I’m not :(.
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
WOW is spelt “MOM” upside down, after all… don’t take yourself so seriously. Learn to laugh at your stumbles and celebrate the little wins. Also, as challenging as it can feel to carve any time for yourself in the day, try adding an easy pick-me-up to your look – some red lipstick or a cute accessory can do wonders for how you feel!
Favourite MOMent of the day
When I hear Harlow’s little feet pitter patter as she heads to our bedroom in the morning.
Does balance exist?
I think balance only exists if you set certain limits. You choose how far you want to go career wise and how much time you want to spend with your family, and then it’s up to you to ensure your profession and family life are compatible.
My guardian angel
Both of my grandmothers.
The last time I laughed out loud
My husband Mike, Harlow, baby Isla and I had a “bed in” on a recent Saturday morning, it was a blast! We all went under the sheets, called it the tent and were making each other laugh. You kinda had to be there…
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Always have integrity by staying true to yourself. Follow your intuition, follow your dreams, believe in yourself, and help others along the way.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. An unlimited amount of cappuccino & iced coffee. I love me some java from Nespresso, Pikolo, Olimpico, and Toi, Moi et Café. And Starbucks drive-thru has come to my rescue on many occasions (especially when one of my daughters is napping in the car!)
2. The Songza app: we play it at bedtime for Harlow (she falls asleep to instrumental versions of Dave Matthews tunes), and I use it to keep the creative juices flowing while I work.
3. My iPhone and iPad: the iPhone for reading, texting and Facebooking while waiting in any line; the iPad for helping to keep Harlow entertained and tech savvy. And list-making apps on both devices to help me keep track of all my to-do’s!
4. Sneaker wedges and dandy slippers for making it possible to strut down the street both comfortably and stylishly.
5. Red lipstick and an awesome headband: for when I want to glam it up and only have 5 minutes.
7. PVR: for allowing me to have all my daughter’s favourite cartoons on demand and helping me stay up to date with “Girls”, “Glee” and “Mad Men.”
8. Indigo: I love taking Harlow there to play with the toy train tracks, scooters and check out new books – a great rainy day activity!