Canadian Blogger, Brand Ambassador, Twitter Party Host, Photographer and Mom to Many
I am a busy mom to a handful of kids, literally and figuratively. With 5 kids ranging from 6 years old to the cusp of teen-hood there is never a dull moment in my house. There also are very few quiet ones.
As a family we love swimming, beaches, fishing, walks in the woods, fossil hunts and camping. We also embrace opportunities to stay in and enjoy family game(ing) night and never miss a weekly movie night. There is nothing more important to my husband and me then our kids and family. We are crazy, zany, and loud and we love being together more than just about anything.
Secrets of a WOWMOM
I don’t think there are any secrets. Just live with an open mind and heart and stay true to yourself and your principles.
What inspires me
My kids inspire me. I know it sounds so cliché, but without them I wouldn’t have stepped out of my comfort zone to try things that have quickly became a passion, like photography. They inspire me to do better, be more and try new things. They also call me on it when I screw up.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
Twitter saves my sanity at the end of a long day. I love being able to hop on there and decompress, learn new things, meet new people and laugh.
As for keeping things sane around the house having a hubby that is right in there with me in the trenches helps immensely. That and getting the kids involved in the everyday tasks of running a house. My kids know how to vacuum, do laundry and even scrub toilets. I start them young.
My best WOWMOM advice
Lower your standards, especially in the early days of being a new mom. The counters don’t have to stay spotless, and dust bunnies can make good pets. Take the time to enjoy your kids when they are little, but don’t feel guilty taking time to enjoy your passions and rediscover yourself.
My WOW moment
I don’t know if I can say I have had one particular WOW moment. There have been many smaller moments, like leading a round table discussion at Blissdom Canada, that have given me confidence and assurances that I really am doing what I should be, and that becoming a Mom doesn’t have to mean the end of individuality and growth.
My not-so WOW moment
The death of my Mother when I was in my early 20’s. It rocked my world and thrust me into the world of parenting in a very abrupt way when I became my 8 year old brother’s guardian. My life path changed in that moment. While I don’t regret a thing, I do sometimes wonder how my life would be different had she not taken her life.
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
Take the time to follow your passions and try new things, even if they scare you a little.
Favourite MOMent of the day
8:30 pm when the kids are all in bed and I can sit back and connect with my Hubby and catch up with my favourite shows.
Does balance exist?
No. I think that being a parent requires sacrifice, as does being an entrepreneur. You have to decide which ones you are willing to make and then be willing to make adjustments as life throws you curveballs.
My guardian angel
My Hubby, no question. He can read me so well and knows when to step in and take over with the kids. If I am having a hard day in business he becomes my sounding board, editor and occasionally stiff drink provider.
The last time I laughed out loud
I LOL every day! It’s hard not to when you surround yourself with amazing women online and have a husband and kids who are goofy and not afraid to show it.
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Stand up for yourself, your friends, and things you believe in. Admit when you are wrong. Be yourself. Have fun! Life is too short to be worrying what others think of you.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. My Cellphone- It connects me to my kids, my online life and I have so much fun texting with my Hubby thoughout the day.
3. My Starbucks App– I adore my weekly Grande Lattes.
4. Notepad and pen – I often get some of my best ideas while out shopping for groceries. A pad of paper and pen ensure I don’t forget them by the time I get to the checkout.
5. My organizer. I have tried online tools for managing my life, but I still need the act of writing things down to remember and track things.
6. My tablets – I’m a bit of a tablet hoarder and have more tablets than kids. They are great for keeping kids occupied, entertained and educated. I love sitting down with the kids and an educational app and see their eyes light up when they learn something new.
7. Colored Pens. I live by colour coding everything in my organizer. I am a visual person so being able to see at a glance what kinds of posts I have done helps me plan future posts. Also highlighters to keep track of extra important things like money owed and kids’ activities.
8. Music – I am partial to the Songza app because I can pick playlists according to mood and I don’t have to keep a bunch of different styles of music on my phone. Uplifting Pop Motivation is my most visited playlist.
** WowMom Note: don’t forget to check out Julia’s incredible blog, www.nugglemama.ca.