Marketing Coordinator, Bath & Body Works
I am a fashionista with a passion for marketing, PR and social media which makes my full time job as a marketing coordinator for Bath & Body Works Canada, the easiest way to keep me away from my 2 beautiful kids on the daily (though I am currently on mat leave). My son Jagger who just turned 3 is very charming and full of character. He is always full of energy and is the life of the party. My 5 month old daughter Jaylaa is constantly smiling, which has convinced me that she is the happiest baby ever. Her smile and laughter is contagious! My love of all these things combined has also inspired me to blog. I share a blog with one of my best friends called MTL Fashion Moms. We’ve been on a hiatus for about a year now, expanding our families, but have re-launched the blog to share our parenting experiences and love of fashion with the world again!
Secrets of a WOWMOM
Knowing when to just stop what you’re doing and engage with your children. We live in such a busy world, and we need to know when to really put down the phone, stop working, leave that mess on the table and just be present in the moment to create those special memories that will last a lifetime.
What inspires me
My children inspire me. They inspire me to be the best I can be. To be someone that can set a good example for them. Someone they can admire. I love seeing the world through their eyes. With all the madness, they really allow you to stop and smell the roses, enjoy the little things and really appreciate life.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
Prepare the night before. As much as I wish I was a morning person, I’m not. I like to shower at night (which is easier once the kids are sleeping anyway) and prepare our outfits, backpacks, lunches etc. for the next day so I can save time during the morning rush.
My best WOWMOM advice
Do what works best for you and your family. There is this constant battle between various parenting methods, breast feed or bottle feed? Co-sleeping or crib sleeping? Stay at home mom vs Working mom. There is no right or wrong way. Every child, and every family is different. Trust your gut and do what works best for you. Don’t let anyone deter you from being the best mom YOU can be.
My WOW moment
Seeing how much my kids love each other. It’s literally the best thing in the world. When my son wakes up in the morning he just wants to see his baby sister. He greets her with a “Good morning pretty girl!” and is constantly telling her he loves her. And the way she looks at him, with all the love in her eyes – it’s beautiful. Nobody makes her laugh like he does. It’s a great bond they will share forever, and I am very proud of that.
My not-so WOW moment
I have a hard time getting my son to bed at a reasonable hour every night. On one hand, I feel guilty that he stays up later than most kids his age and maybe isn’t getting as much sleep as he should be and on the other hand I’m not too bothered by it because I love spending that extra time with him (which also makes me feel a little selfish).
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
Though it is sometimes hard as a busy mom, we need to remember to take care ourselves, because a happy mom, makes for happy children. When you are caring for a family, it is so easy to put everyone else’s needs before our own, but we can’t forget to take care of ourselves as well. I love fashion and after giving birth to both my children, I splurged a bit on a bunch of new clothes, makeup and accessories for (gasp!) myself. It gave me confidence. It helped me look good, which made me feel good. Especially after giving birth when you’re not at your ideal weight and your sleepless and have spit up on your shoulder half the time, every time I went out, even if it was just spending the day at the mall with my daughter, I did my makeup and put on a new outfit and it made me feel like I hadn’t lost myself.
Favourite MOMent of the day
When I pick my son up from school and he yells “Mommy!” and runs to me or first thing in the morning when my daughter wakes up and I go to pick her up from her bassinet and she flashes me a big beautiful smile. It warms my heart to see how genuinely happy they are to see me every single time.
Does balance exist?
Balance exists, but you have to constantly work on it. It ain’t easy. It helps to have a good supportive team (partner, family, friends) to help make it work.
My guardian angel
My parents. I don’t know what I would do without them. They are my support system and are amazing grandparents to my children. They help me create the balance.
The last time I laughed out loud
Kids do say the darndest things, so my son constantly makes me laugh. Ever since Halloween my son makes the funniest excuses to wear his Spiderman costume again. It started with “Mommy, I’m cold, I need my Spiderman costume” to making up his own holiday called “Spiderman Halloween”, which has pretty much been every night once the sun goes down. He has even convinced all his friends at school that this holiday exists and has invited them to a party for it. Everyone is talking about it. Lol.
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Be true to yourself and do what you love. Work hard for what you want and never settle for anything else, because you deserve all the happiness in the world.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Iphone – Can’t live without it. Phone, GPS, Internet, Camera, Clock, etc. It’s everything!
2. Agenda –While I use my Iphone for almost everything, I still like to kick it a little old school with an agenda. I like pencilling things in and being able to see everything at a glance. Being a busy mom, it’s important to keep the family organized. I have the “Do it all Mom planner” that I love! It’s a 17 month planner with space for 6 family members, stickers, to do lists and quotes. Between activities and school events, doctors appointments etc. it keeps me on the ball.
3. Michel Mercier Brush – I picked this up at Winners one day after I had seen celeb mom-preneur Bethenny Frankel post about it on Instagram calling it a game changer for her daughter’s hair and it really is! I bought it for my son who has super curly hair that is easily tangled, because combing his hair out without half a bottle of conditioner in the bath is hard and painful. It works wonders! I even started using it on myself after that post partum hair loss kicked in and my hair became a tangled disaster. I had to tear my hair apart before now it’s virtually painless and combs out the toughest knots easily in minutes. Love!
4. Coffee – Love me a nice hot cup of coffee or my fave, cafe moka!
5. Today’s Parent magazine – I look forward to getting my Today’s Parent magazine every month in the mail. It’s a really great parenting resource for Canadian moms, and there are always articles that are relative to me and my kids at that time every month. I like to read mine with a nice hot cup of coffee and some Jazz music playing in the background. It relaxes me.
6. Mac Ririwoo Red Lipstick – I don’t wear lipstick often, but I got this lipstick from Rihanna’s Mac collection this summer and I love it! It’s not often us moms get to go out sans the kids, so on the off chance that I do, I like to make a statement with a fabulous red lip. It’s perfect for date night or girls’ night out, and it suits every skin tone!
7. Sneaker Wedges – I jumped on this trend for fall. When it came time to retire my summer flats, I started wearing my sneaker wedges daily. Since I’m on mat leave, most days are just spent at home, just driving my son to and from school. I love them because they are comfy casual but still add a touch of height and glam to an outfit even if I’m just wearing a pair of sweats.
8. Bath & Body Works Anti-Bacterial Hand soap and hand sanitizer. My son loves the freshly scented foaming hand soaps, and I always keep a pocketbac hand sanitizer in my baby bag – it’s perfect for on the go sanitizing!
** WowMom Note: don’t forget to check out Joanna’s fabulous blog, Montreal Fashion Moms. We love this!!!
Jamie you have an amazing tleant for photographing pregnant women. These look great! I love the pictures with the dogs Makes me wish Frankenstein was in some of my maternity shots