I am a full-time work-from-home freelance journalist and editor. I am the also a new mom to a 5-month-old little boy, Cameron, who has filled my heart with love.
Secrets of a WOWMOM
Sleep when baby sleeps, don’t sweat the small stuff, and go with your gut (ignore those who give you advice and throw out “the books”).
What inspires me
Everything. I look around and I am constantly amazed and in awe of the beauty of the things around me.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
A snuggly- I can get MUCH more done with my babe strapped to my chest. He cleans, plays in the kitchen, gardens, and more with me.
My best WOWMOM advice
Just DO YOU… don’t worry about what “the books” or “the experts” say, ignore your friend’s advice, and turn the other cheek when someone starts saying “Back in my day we used to…” You have a gut for a reason – listen to it!
My WOW moment
It was the 20-week ultrasound and we found out we were having a boy… I saw him bouncing in my tummy and suddenly connected it with the flutters I’d been feeling in my belly. Yep, I definitely had a little baby in there, and it all became very real.
My not-so WOW moment
I was about three months pregnant and my hormones were wreaking havoc on me. I was tired and feeling icky and I don’t know what my husband said to me but I threw a flipflop at him. That wasn’t my best moment as a prego.
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
Find time for JUST YOU… not you and the hubby but just you, even if it’s a nice long uninterrupted shower. You need a recharge. Take a lap through the Starbucks drive-thru and blast some of your favorite tunes. Do something alone, even just for 10 minutes.
Favourite MOMent of the day
Bathtime… it means we survived another day together, and my little bean LOVES his bathtime. I’ve done his bath since he was born and it’s a fun time to watch him splash and get out some last-minute energy. I usually have a coffee while I watch and it’s a nice way to end our day just he and I.
Does balance exist?
Sure… if you work at it. You need to find a balance between work and play, baby time and grown-up time, etc. It can be tricky but it can always be found.
My guardian angel
My mom and mother-in-law. My mom came and stayed with us the first two weeks we had the baby and she was God-sent. My mother-in-law moved in with us when the bean was about four months old and it’s great to have someone who will take a turn getting up in the morning with him so mommy and daddy can “sleep in” (till 7:30 lol) or take him to the park so we can get house chores done.
The last time I laughed out loud
Yesterday, when the bean learned to stick out his tongue.
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Find your passion. Everyone has a passion – pursue it, no matter what it is. Your passion in life will give you a creative outlet and fulfillment.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Jumpers – they’re fun and good exercise for my active bean.
2. Espresso- cuz I’m a new mom. ‘Nuff said.
3. Einstein activity playmat- it was his first “toy” and he still uses it – a four-month lifespan in baby toys is a great investment.
4. Bath & Body Works Sweet Pea shower gel– even if I only have five minutes for a shower, it feels a bit more indulgent when I use this yummy stuff.
5. Anything Carter’s for baby clothes- they’re easy to wash and wear really well, plus they have the cutest designs ever.
6. Pampers diapers with the color-changing line- if it’s yellow the baby is dry, and if it’s blue there’s a piddle. WAY easier than peeking and poking around in a possibly contaminated diaper.
7. Raffi on DVD- what can I say: I’m old school and loved Raffi songs when I was a kid (who doesn’t love “Baby Beluga”?), so a good Raffi tune is the perfect distraction to an overtired kid.
8. Zipper PJs- Snaps and buttons are the pits! Not to mention tricky to manoeuvre quickly when you’re changing a squirmy fussy kid. If you have a choice, ALWAYS get the zipper PJs.