Style Expert, The Morning Show, Steven & Chris, ET Canada, Editor-at-Large Real Style Magazine, www.thestylehouse.ca
Working freelance in the style industry – some days see me running from a shoot, to one of my son’s swimming lessons or music class, then off again to previews or events (the worst is when I forget – or don’t have time– to remove my camera-ready makeup and jump in the pool…You can imagine. I want to explain to the other caregivers/parents in class that I’m not all dolled up for toddler swim but, well I don’t usually get into it). My sons are Felix who just turned four and Desmond (Desie) who is 1 1/2 year – they are bundles of joyful energy and keep me on my toes.
Secrets of a WOWMOM
It takes a village. Honestly I rely so heavily on family and fortunately have never made the mistake of thinking that I can do it all, everyday. The scales of balance are always shifting.
What inspires me
I love spending time on my own going through independent magazines and reading. Being outside.
My sanity saviour (tips & time savers)
Not being afraid to ask for help. Probably to an annoying degree.
My best WOWMOM advice
Don’t feel guilty spending time on your own – whether that’s indulging in a spa day or spending time with friends. You want your children to be interesting people, activities are a good way for them to be so, but seeing that their mom has interests as well is a great thing. At least that’s what I tell myself 😉
My WOW moment
Everyday has at least one WOW moment – whether that’s a great dinner made, getting to montessori/work/activities on time, etc. It’s the little things. I’m continually amazed that my husband & I brought these awesome little angels into the world.
My not-so WOW moment
Everyday has some not-so WOW moments – not getting dinner made, everyone’s late, etc. At not-so good moments I’m amazed that my husband & I brought these little devils into the world 😉
Keeping it WOW (how not to lose yourself)
Alone time and time with my hubby & friends is crucial. Maintaining interests beyond my kids is what helps me to be my best in all arenas.
Favourite MOMent of the day
Just as the boys eyes start to drop before sleep. Contented little snores is one of the best sounds in the world.
Does balance exist?
Overall I’d say yes but not in every given moment. I try to compartmentalize – so work is work, time with the kids is not checking messages… “Try” being the operative word, it all kind of spills into one another.
My guardian angel
My mom, my mother-in-law and my sisters. Lucky me!
The last time I laughed out loud
I had asked Felix to grab me a Vitality magazine (a FREE paper) at a health store because my hands were full with Desie and grocery bags. When we got into the car he asked why I wanted him to steal the magazine for me!! Thank goodness that was clarified. But I couldn’t stop laughing, I still can’t stop.
Words Of Wisdom (Mom’s message to My Kids)
Please always stay as confident and as amazing as you are now. You are both truly perfection – not in the definition that you will never make a mistake but in that you are exactly as you should be.
MY WOWMOM MUST-HAVES
Fave things, places and sanity savers for WOWMOMS!
1. Live Clean Moisturizing Baby Lotion. We all use it in our family – it is the best and smells amazing.
2. Anthology magazine. I look forward to every issue. I find the images, styling, decor & stories so inspiring. I read it cover to cover. (Just picked up my first issue of Darling magazine, I have a feeling this will soon be on my list).
3. I’ve just discovered the simple perfection of Everlane clothes. Adore and want every item on the site.
4. Papillon restaurant on Eastern Ave in Toronto. Simple, easy decor & food. I just love the vibe here.
5. The ROM. I have a membership and will sometimes just pop in for 1/2 hr in between meetings. It’s my safe place 🙂
6. Body Blitz spa. The water circuit is almost a meditation and the treatments divine. A lot of women go in groups but I love to go on my own.
7. Yoga Therapy Toronto. Sadly, since the boys, I don’t get here as often as I’d like but I believe that Felicia Pavlovic has a gift. (I’m not the only one, her classes are packed).